Saturday, October 10, 2009

Just a Work Friend

Sarah L posted a comment on my previous post that kind of struck a cord with me. It made me feel guilty and ashamed of myself. I tried writing a post about it but I had to delete everything I wrote because I wasn't getting my message across. I guess I don't know how to say it. But I'm going to try again.

Basically, it comes down to this: Why do people feel this horrible need to be mean and cruel to people who are different from them? And why do we try to force everyone around us to be like us?

Again, because this blog is specifically devoted to discussions about women-to-women relationships, I will confine my thoughts to lesbians and bis. Why do we have to be so cruel? And why did I allow myself to be part of that cruelty for so long?

When I was growing up I was taught in church we are supposed to love other people. That is in the Bible. I've read it myself many times. But why was this addendum added? "If they are like the established norms we have created." That is NOT in the Bible. I know. I've read it cover-to-cover several times. A few times looking specifically for that message. It isn't there. So why are we teaching it?

I was not taught to love people who are different than me. I was taught to love people who were like me. Conversely, this also meant that if I wished to be loved, I had to be like the people around me. I had to say the things they said. I had to do the things they did. I had to wear the clothes they said were appropriate for my age and sex. In fact, I remember punishments I received which involved clothing. I would have to wear clothing belonging to a younger age and the opposite sex. This was to show the world around me how 'bad' I was.

And so I would join in and harass people who were "different". Generally, this meant holding boys who didn't "act like boys" and girls who didn't "act like girls" in utter contempt. Inevitably, these children would be pushed into one of two areas. Either they became complete loners, waiting for the day when they could leave our small town rural community and go hide in the city, or they joined the majority and acted like they did. I did the latter. As much as I could.

But you know what? People seem to sense when someone is only pretending, and the older I got, the harder it became to fit in. I became more uncomfortable with things like harassment and began walking away from it. Did you know that if you don't join in with harassment you are somehow guilty of a crime in the minds of those who do? It wasn't until I became older that I found the strength to admit, not just to myself, but to others, that I don't hate people who are different from me. For one thing, I'm not so sure anymore that "they" and I are that different from each other after all.

I commented back to Sarah L that I now openly challenge people who make fun of, or laugh at the discomfort of, GLBT people. It's kind of become a one-person crusade to stand up against the same people who I grew up with and tell them they are wrong. Something I should have done all my life. But didn't. What I find comforting is that a couple of the people I have been challenging seem to have changed their tune (at least around me). Maybe they never wanted to be part of it either, and now that I have challenged them they are relieved they don't have to be that way anymore. Maybe I'm deluding myself. Listening to all the hate messages in the news I would say I am.

I look back on my past and I see certain patterns emerge. At the time I remember only vaguely wondering about it. Now it fills more of my thought.

Why was it that the boys who were attracted to boys, and the girls who were attracted to girls, found me as a person to be friends with? This began in my high school years, after I had quit joining the public harassing. But even after school, when I would be at work, if there was a gay, bi-sexual, or lesbian in the company, they seemed to find me and we would become work friends. (Work friends are people you only talk to at work. You go to lunch together, and sit next to each other in company meetings and at company events, but you don't socialize apart from work.) Often, their sexual orientation was only a rumor, and seldom did they ever talk to me about it. Sometimes they did, but mostly we were just work friends. Often I was the only work friend they had.

I find myself wondering about it. For one thing, I find it interesting that, as I became friends with the gay, bi, lesbian people who had sought me out, the non-gay, non-bi, and non-lesbian people wanted less and less to do with me. 

I think I know now what I am trying to say with this post. I'm trying to say, "I'm sorry", to a lot of people who befriended me, and with whom I was embarassed to be friends. Yes, I was their work friend. I wasn't mean to them. I didn't avoid them. But I was embarassed to be seen with them. How awful I've been. And do you know what's the stupidest part of it? All of my life the one thing I have wanted more than anything else is to be loved and accepted for who I am. And guess what? The people who I was embarassed to be seen with were giving me exactly that. And I never saw it. And now they are all gone from my life. I never socialized with any of them. Instead, I have lived a lonely life. And I'm not talking sex! I'm talking love. I should have loved them back. Because you know what? I think that's all they wanted, too. I didn't give it to them. I was just a work friend. And I'm sorry.

10 comments:

fairyhedgehog said...

That's very honest of you, Wings. I wouldn't like to look that honestly into my past, I have to say.

Things are changing. In the UK it's taken for granted that you can't discrimate against people for their sexuality so whatever people's private feelings there is some protection out there. And I do think that more people are accepting of the diverse range of human gender and sexuality.

I wish it was everyone. I don't know what to say when my Mum uses homophobic or racist terms to describe people.

Wings in the Night said...

I know where you're at with your Mum. I recently argued with my mother. She wanted to sound agreeable, but she kept adding "but ..."

Being honest is a touchy thing. While I thank you for the compliment, obviously I'm not being entirely open. I mean, it's fairly clear my name isn't really WingsInTheNight. So some of the risk associated with confessing has been removed.

But it's still frightening to admit my faults and misdeeds. You, Sarah, and Writtenwyrdd have all come here and left beautiful comments. My fear, of course, is that if you know more about me one or more of you won't like me anymore. But I guess there has to be some level of risk if we're going to be friends.

fairyhedgehog said...

Sometimes the only way to feel free to talk openly is to be anonymous.

Wings in the Night said...

That's true.

Sarah Laurenson said...

Anonymous or not, I think what you are putting out here is wonderful. We all make these kinds of mistakes. The trick is learning from them, which, unfortunately, a lot of people never do.

And yes, some people will respond with more of their true selves when they see it's ok to do so. That pack or mob mentality is a very interesting part of the human experience. Learning to separate from it and be true to yourself is a huge amount of growth.

I applaud you.

Wings in the Night said...

Thank you, Sarah. Your kind words mean a lot. I only wish I had developed the courage to speak out years ago. But all I can do now is go on from where I am.

Thank you, for being understanding.

Sarah Laurenson said...

BTW - if you haven't happened on Lee Wind yet. I highly recommend his blog to you.

Wings in the Night said...

Thanks Sarah. I followed the link you gave and found myself in a bit of a controversy. I did add a comment. It looks like a good site.

Sarah Laurenson said...

That's why hindsight is 20/20. It's easy to look back and see how we should've acted, what we should've said. That's also why my favorite definition of experience is the ability to recognize a mistake when we make it again. We do make mistakes and sometimes it takes a lot to learn from them.

I need a 2x4 upside my head sometimes to figure out what is patently obvious to someone else.

Those differences fascinate me and I think that puts me in a minority. And yet, I've been through times in my life where living only with people who are like me was appealing.

Wings in the Night said...

"experience is the ability to recognize a mistake when we make it again"

I like that, for isn't it the truth that we repeat our mistakes?

The real key to interpersonal relationships is acceptance of each other for who and what we are. If we can do that we're most of the way there.