Friday, October 9, 2009

Don't Make Normal Unusual

I've read a lot of books, short stories, and such, and I've watched a lot of movies and television shows. And do you know what just irks me to no end? It when the writer of said book, short story, movie, television show, or such, wishes to show us how normal their lesbian women are by "telling us they're normal". Maybe it's just me, but if the writer feels she needs to go out of her way to tell us something, then it seems pretty clear to me that she doesn't think it's normal.

To me, if a writer is going to write a story (screenplay) about lesbian women, and she wants it to be natural, then don't tell people it's natural, just treat it as natural. If we, as writers, don't make a big deal out of something, our readers should grasp fairly early on it isn't a big deal.

That's the way I want some of my stories to be. That the women are in love, or even married, is not integral to the story. It's just a part of it, like having a heterosexual main character. Maybe she's married. Maybe she has a boyfriend. As a writer we would never think about making a big deal that she's married to a man, would we? Then, if the story doesn't call for it, don't make a big deal that she's married to a woman.

At the same time, I angst about things a lot, and so for a good many of the stories I have been writing the fact that my main character is in love with a woman is important to the story. I recently wrote one in which my main character had to flee her village because she had been discovered with her lover. A friend arrived in the night and helped her escape before the lynch mob arrived. The story followed her flight to a new village, where she had to begin her life anew, only to find a new partner and be caught again.

I suppose there are those who would criticise my main character for becoming involved with another woman so soon after being separated from her previous lover. But the truth was there was no reason for her to believe she would ever see her previous lover again. The friend who helped her escape could not even guarantee her lover got away. Besides, one thing I know for certain from personal experience is this: lonely people are incredibly susceptible to love. We are not promiscuous people. We just want to be loved. And depending on the level of loneliness, and the number of hurts inflicted, we can do a lot of things if we even slightly believe we are loved. And so I felt my character was in character. For who is lonelier than the person whom no one accepts?

I guess I kind of strayed from my original point. Now I'm writing about angst. But angst is important to me right now.

While searching for a place where I might be able to submit some of my work for possible publication I came across something a man wrote about coming out stories. He said he was sick of them. He was tired of the angst and all that went with it. He wanted stories about gay people who were already comfortable with themselves. I understand his point. But at the same time there are a lot of people who are still struggling with who they are. Angst is very much a part of our lives. So I don't think there is no longer any need for such stories. I mean, old-fashioned romance novels are still selling like hot cakes after one hundred years. Right?

2 comments:

Sarah Laurenson said...

Although being gay seems to be more accepted, there's a strong backlash going on in the face of the marriage debate.

I used to live in Louisiana and it's still unacceptable to be gay there. There's still a lot of angst in coming out and a lot of danger.

Kids need stories that they can identify with. I don't know of any books where the main character was happy with her life and herself and there was no conflict. Conflict can make or break a book.

There are stories with gay characters who are comfortable with being gay. Those are the ones where being gay is just part of that character and not an integral part of the story and that's where the first part of your post comes in.

Although I enjoyed The L Word, I saw a lot in it that wasn't realistic. But isn't that the way of most Hollywood productions?

Wings in the Night said...

Hollywood is into making money, not necessarily putting out good stories.

There are people, very close to me, who still show pleasure when they hear of a gay person suffering. "Serves them right," they say.

I confess I used to join them. It helped me "belong". I don't anymore. I can't.

Now I challenge them. I say, "Is that how you want people to feel when you suffer? Do you want them saying, 'Good!'? I don't. With all the hate in the world, why are you criticizing people in love?"

I know what it's like to not be accepted for being me. Just not to the point of death. The only time I felt my life in danger was when someone pointed a gun at my head. But that was a random act of terrorism.

My trouble is I don't really know what I am anymore. If ever I did know.