Saturday, November 7, 2009

Story Time

Episode 1006

“What are you thinking about, Paran?”


“Not much. Just the village, and how everybody probably reacted to our running off like we did.”

“Are you sad you left?”

“No. Not really. I mean, I miss my family, and Old Conway, the butcher. He was funny. But as much as I miss some I am glad to be free of Kerr.”

Elon shuddered. “I should say so. He’s such a brute.”

“Not your type, huh? Well, I shouldn’t worry. I expect your father would find someone much more suitable for you than Kerr. Now, let’s see, who would be good for you? How about Clement? He’s a nice, gentle sort. He would make you a fine husband, don’t you think?”

“I don’t want Clement!” Elon hated it when Paran teased her about husband possibilities. For one thing, she never suggested the one person Elon would be thrilled to have. But then, nobody ever did. And Elon didn’t dare tell anyone. So she knew that one day, like Paran, she would have been faced with the decision to either marry someone she didn’t want, or flee to freedom. It was better to leave now with Paran than to wait and have to escape on her own. Paran was right: she wasn’t that great in the woods. But she knew she could be great in the house. The implications of that thought made her smile.

“I don’t think you know who you want,” said Paran. “But no matter. It wasn’t a decision likely to be made any time soon. Or at all, if I don’t find a way to get you home.”

“Home! I’m staying with you.”

“For now, yes. But what about later? I don’t think your father is going to quit looking for you until he finds you.”

Elon smiled. “Or Aricin, until he finds his pony.”

She was glad that Paran laughed. Laughter was the best way to get Paran away from troublesome talk. She knew Paran was probably right about her father and brother, but she would deal with them when the time came. For now, they didn’t know where she was. She was safe. She was with Paran.

Paran sat up.

“I’m thinking maybe we should get some sleep. It was a difficult walk today and I’m sure you’re as tired as I am. Do you want the bed? Or should I take it?”

Elon glanced at the bed, beckoning to them from the shadows.

“I shouldn’t think the bed would be a good idea tonight. Let’s wait until daylight and see what kinds of things have made a home in it.”

“Hmm. Good thinking.”

“Told you that you needed me along.”

“So you did. Then I guess we sleep by the hearth, if that’s all right with you?”

She lay back down, head near Elon’s. Elon sighed wistfully. It didn’t have to be like this, did it? Never certain on how Paran would respond, she was hesitant in her offer.

“You can lay beside me – if you want.”

Paran rolled over onto her stomach. Her eyes were searching, though for what Elon wasn’t certain. That’s the way Paran was. You could know everything about her and still not know what she was thinking.

“You nervous about the place? And why they left?”

It was as good an excuse as any.

“A little.”

Chuckling, Paran got up with her blanket. She made Elon scoot to the side on hers and lay facing Elon’s back. She pulled her own blanket over them, draping her arm over Elon’s side.

Elon smiled contentedly. This was how they had slept the past three nights. Paran said it would keep them warm in the night. It did give a warm feeling, thought Elon. Inside and out. She took Paran’s hand and clutched it close to her heart.

8 comments:

fairyhedgehog said...

Ahh! I hope Paran responds.

Wings in the Night said...

I see an error here at the end. I changed the duration of their walk from three days to three weeks. It was necessary in order to accomplish what I wanted.

This concludes the first chapter. I probably WON'T post any more of the story.

As for Paran, she isn't quite so dense as she appears. But she's cautious about love. At least, at first.

I've completed four chapters now. If you would like I can give a quick rundown on what happens in Chapters 2, 3, and 4?

fairyhedgehog said...

I'd like to read more at some point, if that's an option. Maybe not right now though!

Wings in the Night said...

Sure you can read more, when you're ready. I suppose that will be when NaNo is over? I saw your post about it this morning.

You're doing pretty good.

Sarah Laurenson said...

Still here, still behind, still trying to catch up. This coming weekend should help.

Wings in the Night said...

That's okay, Sarah. You're involved in NaNoWriMo, too, aren't you? And I see congratulations are in order for winning a prize at Writtenwyrdd's blog.

Sarah Laurenson said...

Thanks! Surprised me to win anything since no one mentioned my story in the comments, but I forgot she was doing a random drawing, too.

Doing NaNo goals, but not 50K words in a month. Behind on that, too.

Wings in the Night said...

That's a lot of words to write when one has other obligations, such as work and family.

I didn't sign up for NaNoWriMo.